a dewaanifordrama playlist [#9]
I figured I have a better chance of getting a top 100 if I start early, right? My 2012 and 2013 top 100 posts are still in draft format (and one day I hope to post them). During the year, I normally make a playlist for the year as a way to bookmark releases, and due to the prolific nature of the K-pop world, I already have 157 songs on the first playlist (some are doubles, but there a bunch I haven't even added to the list as well). And that's not even every release. So out of those 157 odd I've tagged so far, here are the ones that make my top 25 favourites. Some of these you may have already seen on my Favourite Finds posts more recently. (Some of them I really wanted on this list, but they didn't quite make the cut. So be sure to check them out there). Click on the song links to listen to/watch the MV, or select play in the embedded playlist at the end of the post.
2. MBLAQ - Be a Man Classy, sexy, smooth, beautiful - and I'm not just talking about the men of MBLAQ. I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to this song on endless repeat. Ah, I could talk for hours about the excellence of this release. And the album is pretty solid too. And that Seungho solo around 2:20ish, sooooo goooooood!!!
3. Park Hyo Shin - Wild Flower I couldn't decide whether this or "Be a Man" should go first...so think of them as equally loved. His voice. His voice. It's like I've died and gone to Heaven when I listen to him sing. I have also had this song on endless repeat so much it's not even funny.
4. JJCC - Love At First Soooo...I was totally ready to be skeptical of this Jackie Chan produced K-pop group, but this debut track is solid. They are also pretty great live. I am looking forward to hearing more from them.
5. B.A.P. - 1004 (Angel) Definitely a new sound for B.A.P. but I really enjoyed it quite a bit. Some good stuff this B.A.P. ^^
6. SoYou & JungiGo - 썸 (Some) ft. Lil Boi - Smooth, sweet, catchy and an adorable MV to boot. This song also experienced quite a bit of popularity in Korea I think.
7. B1A4 - Lonely I know not everyone loves something more ballady, but B1A4 I kind of adore, whatever they do. And despite it's mellowness, I find it strangely addictive. And that little neck-tie dance. I like it.
8. AKMU - Melted Their voice-blending is reminiscent of the excellent Simon & Garfunkel sound perfected by meticulous multiple-layered recording. I just love this song more and more and more. Actually their whole debut album is pretty fabulous.
9. Sunmi - Full Moon Smooth, sexy, suave and classy. Sumni sounds great and the up-tempo but chill feel is one I can totally get behind.
10. T-ARA - First Love I love the tango vibe to this up-tempo ballad piece. This is just a great T-ARA song (and yes, sadly I realize that not all the ladies are on this track).
11. Rain - La Song There's just something smooth and swanky-sexy about this track. I can't help but start dancing when I hear this song or at least start tapping my feet and bobbing my head. Rain at his smooth, sexy best.
12. B.A.P. - With You I think they boys all sound fabulous in this song, but I especially love the toned back raps of Bang Yong Guk and Zelo. And of course their dedication to good causes makes me love them even more.
13. BTS - Boy In Love While the lyrics are a tad on the ridiculous side, I can't help but love this song...they just have so much confident swag that I can't help but like them and the song.
14. NELL - The Great Escape NELL. I am not sure if I can say more about how much I love them. Just listen.
15. SPEED - Why Am I Not? This is another song that I just like without any huge reasons. I guess I just like SPEED's style and sound a lot?
16. AKMU - 200% It's just playful and delightful. And cute and sweet, and the MV is pretty funny in a really relatable way.
17. From the Airport - Chemical Love They're definitely making into my next K-Indie playlist. I almost didn't add them to the list because they sing in English...but they are just too good to leave out.
18. TVXQ - Something I just loved the swing, big band feel to this track. TVXQ definitely have the finesse to carry a song with just the two of them (though I desperately want the magic of the five back *sigh*). This might also have been the first K-pop release of the year. And how is it already almost May?
19. Verbal Jint - Rewind Solid solid comeback from Verbal Jint. Man, who can't love that voice and that just all round awesomeness. Then again I am a little Verbal Jint biased.
20. Royal Pirates - Drawing the Line Smooth and easy listening. It also doesn't hurt that I think James is totally gorgeous as well ;)
21. NELL - Four Times Around the Sun Not my favourite NELL release, but it's still solid excellence. They are definitely my go to for quality because they never disappoint. The MV was also super great.
22. BTS - Just One Day The lyrics are sort of cheesetastic, but this song has this addictive hypnotic thing going on that has been making me fall in love with it more and more.
23. Lee Sun Hee - Meet Him Among Them Apparently this year I am a sucker for ballads or something. Maybe I can just hear the years of experience in her voice and see a little of why she's so famous. Maybe I've just been so steeped in Korean entertainment that I've come to love something like this...the MV is completely lovely as well.
24. Girl's Generation - Mr. Mr. I know that it wasn't the comeback SNSD fans were hoping for, but this song has slowly grown on me. The MV is kind of a mess, but I think the song is much better than the mash-up that was "I Got a Boy", which Super Junior tried to re-hash with "Swing" - wait, did I say that out loud? Oops!
25. SPICA - You Don't Love Me While I don't think it's as good as "Tonight", I still love the full and soulful sound to this piece. SPICA are definitely one of my favourite girl groups in the K-pop scene.
There were some other tracks that almost made it to the list. And who knows, if I were to rearrange the list tomorrow, I might have some of them on the list instead of some of the ones I have picked. Are there any favourites that you think just have to be on a top 25 list for the year so far? Share them in the comment section below and don't forget to subscribe to the blog to get updates for new posts.
◀ Header Spree & A Little Update Favourite Finds #5 [26 May 2014] ▶